Week 2 August 21 -25
CDA #2 - Reality Check: On the Internet go to utahfutures.org Next click on Assessments/Activities. In the upper left hand corner of the screen click on Reality Check. Now we're going to see if you can really afford the lifestyle you imagined in CDA #1, Aspirations. Even better we'll see what kind of a job you will need to be able to afford the lifestyle you've imagined for yourself. Follow the steps listed below:
- Select the location. You can choose the Southwest, which is where we are, or anywhere else in Utah you would like to live. If you choose Salt Lake City you will have more careers available to you.
- Click on Get Started under Option 1. Later on, after you've completed the assignment, you're welcome to check out the other activities in utahfutures.
- Work your way through the worksheet making a selection for each of the areas listed such as housing, electricity, etc. If you don't know how much to enter in investments or children, use the links the get a little more information.
- When you get to the bottom click on the Review Budget button. This will bring up a list of your expenses and tell you how much it's going to cost you each month to live the way you like. Write down the total monthly expenses on your Aspirations paper, or if you don't have it anymore, just use another piece of paper.
- Click on the button that says Matching Occupations. Now you'll find a list of occupations that will pay you enough to have the lifestyle you've chosen. Look through the list and find an occupation that looks interesting to you. Click on the name of the occupation (in blue) and read a little more to see if it's really something you would like. If so, write the name of the occupation on your paper and the annual salary (how much you would earn in a year), and circle them so I can easily see them. If not, keep looking until you find something you would like.
- Make sure your first and last name, and period are on the paper and hand it in for credit. CDA #2, Reality Check was due on 8/21.
- If you have time check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook. This is a government publication that shares a lot of good information about careers. Among other things the OOH will help you to see if there will be many jobs available in your chosen career field. You can find the Occupation Outlook Handbook by typing OOH in the search window. Ordinarily the link to the OOH is at the top of the list of search results.
Interest and Ability Survey - This is a simple survey to help you see what your interests and abilities are as it relates to technology. You'll see the survey again near the end of the semester to see if your interests and abilities have changed after participating in College and Career Awareness. Hopefully they will. This assignment was due 8/22. To make it up you will need to see Mr. Stratton. It should only take about 5 minutes.
General Safety Information and Quiz - We will watch a video that shows a lot of situations that may be hazardous to your health. The purpose, of course, is to inform you so if you find yourself in one of the situations shown you will know what to do to keep yourself safe. There will be a quiz afterwards that I will help you with. If you need to make this up you will need to come before or after school, or during lunch to watch the video and complete the quiz.
Planet Zorcon - This was a classroom simulation and discussion about resource management. Since the assignment can't be made up directly you may do a little research online about resource management, and write in your own words what you learned. You will need about a page, single spaced, to receive full credit.